China and Ghana enter Takoradi Port expansion deal
Monday, 03 September 2012 11:52
The Ghana Ports and Harbours Authority (GPHA) has entered into a deal with the China Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) to begin work on the Takoradi Port Infrastructure Development Project
The port expansion project will be worth US$150mn and work on it first phase has been scheduled to begin soon after Richard Anamoo, director-general at GPHA, and CHEC country manager Yang Tao signed a contract to signal that construction would start shortly.
According to the agreement, the Chinese company would carry out 60 per cent of work, while a number of Ghanaian companies would undertake the remaining 40 per cent.
The first and second phases of the project, totalling US$344mn, would be executed within two years.
Anamoo said the project would see the provision of essential facilities at the Takoradi Port, including the construction of access roads. He added that when completed, the project would give the Takoradi Port a major facelift.
Yang also expressed his optimism that the project would create avenues for local employment.